No space or budget for a full-size standing desk, a height adjustable standing desk riser is your answer.
Using your existing table, these desk risers offer different mode of working at your desk, moving from sitting to standing in seconds.
There is no need to throw out your table, or take up more floor space than you have to to accommodate a new standing table.
Risers are the best and cheapest way to convert your conventional fixed table or work desk to let you try out the sit / stand working positions. For that, they are sometimes known as desktop converters.
The new, healthier and more productive way of working that everybody has been talking about is now within your reach with a desk riser.
Standing or sitting, these risers can be adjusted to suit the way your work.
Top 10 Best Height Adjustable Workstation Risers
Here is an overview of our list of the best height adjustable workstation risers that can hold a laptop, to all-in-one desktop, keyboard and even dual screens.
- VARIDESK Pro Plus 36 Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL, WIDE
- X-ELITE PRO Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Desk Riser – SINGLE LEVEL
- VARIDESK Pro Plus 48 Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL, BIGGEST
- Avantree Quality Adjustable Laptop Tray, Portable Standing Desk Riser – LAPTOP, PORTABLE, TILT
- DeskRiser Standing Desk – Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Up Desk – TWO LEVEL
- UpTrak Grande Sit/Stand Desk Riser – TWO-LEVEL
- Rocelco ADR Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Desk Computer Riser – TWO LEVEL
- Halter ED-258 Preassembled Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Elevating Riser – TWO LEVEL, WIDE
- FlexiSpot M2W Height Adjustable Stand up Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL, WIDE
- Smonet Height Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL
Remember that we are only looking for manual height adjustable workstation risers and not motorised risers. Now for a closer look
1. VARIDESK Pro Plus 36 Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL
Varidesk is a big name in desktop based risers. The Pro Plus 36 and 30 are among their most popular and is available in black or white. The Pro Plus 30 is wide enough support a single monitor or all-in-one desktop. You might at a push be able to put a small laptop and a small display side by side for those who wish to work with dual display using their laptop as the main computer and an external display as a second screen.
When collapsed, these height adjustable desk risers are no different to the non-adjustable monitor riser, elevating the monitor to a good ergonomic position for the conventional seated working position.
The Pro Plus 36 on the other hand is roomier and lets you sit both the laptop and screen side by side easily. A second platform for keyboard and mouse is just as roomy with spare space on the top and side of the keyboard. The biggest feature of the Varidesk is its patented spring-loaded lifting mechanism. This allows users to quickly lift the riser, moving from seated to standing work position in as little as 3 seconds. Choose from one of 11 different positions to suit you.
- 36-inch wide Large enough to accommodate dual-display setup or for those whom are after a larger workspace – WIDE
- Two-tier design with bigger upper surface for laptop, monitor or both and a spacious lower deck for keyboard and mouse
- Height adjustable to 11 different positions for comfort, yet remain sturdy and stable even when fully extended
- Patented spring-loaded lifting mechanism to lift up to 35 lbs. (15.8kg) in 3 seconds
A smaller, narrower, 30-inch wide version is also available below. It has the same 11 height settings and can raise the keyboard and display up to 14-inch off the desk that it sits on. While the shelves may be narrower, we have seen some users mount an optional dual monitor stand to let them work with multiple monitor. Should you wish to do this, please ensure that you observe the weight limit. Apart from white (above) and black (below), other colour options include ‘butcher block’ and ‘dark wood’.
Also: VARIDESK Pro Plus 30 Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL
2. X-ELITE PRO Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Desk Riser – SINGLE LEVEL
If you are not one for a dual level work surface and would prefer a desk like single flat surface. In addition, the same single level riser based on a scissors support mechanism are also available from Stand Steady and Deskool. This is similar to the collapsible ironing board albeit in a smaller and more sturdy configuration. A quick spring loaded level and pump assisted lift lets you release the catch and allow you to move the work platform to the desired height. When collapsed, the riser offers a raised 7-inch work surface. This can be raised up to 16-inch which is 2-inches more than the Varidesk riser above. The base or footprint is smaller so when collapsing the riser, one do not need to worry about catching their fingers.
- Single level flat surface with depth to accommodate laptop, mouse and keyboard or all-in-one desktop, mouse and keyboard.
- Spacious workspace on steady stand with scissor type support with easy lift levers and air pup system.
- Workspace dimensions: 28-inch wide x 20-inch depth
- Base dimensions: 25.4-inch x 16.8-inch
- Height: 2.5-inch to 16-inch. Height adjustable from 7 to 16-inch for standing mode.
- Max load: 20lbs
3. VARIDESK Pro Plus 48 Height-Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL, BIGGEST
One of the bigger side, the Pro Plus 48 is again a dual level desktop riser. There is plenty of room for up to two full size monitors or two medium size monitors and a laptop or simply just a laptop and a full size monitor as shown below. It also offers bigger loading capacity of up to 45 lbs or 20 kg. The same patented spring loaded lifting mechanism is used here to give its users a quick 3 seconds switch from seated to standing without breaking the work flow or users concentration. The upper level however comes with dual handle design to make it easier to lift or lower the height of the riser. As with most risers, the Pro Plus 48 comes pre-assembled out of the box.
- Dimensions: 48-inch wide or 4-feet wide – WIDEST
- Height adjustable: 11 different positions while keeping the work surface sturdy and stable even when fully extended.
- Ample space for multi display setup (see below) or a super big and wide screen.
- Two-tier design with upper and lower desk, upper desk for laptop, all-in-one desktop or displays while the lower desk for mouse and keyboard, workspace or writing space.
- Patented spring loaded lifting mechanism to lift up to 45lbs (20 kg) in 3 seconds.
- Available in black or white.
4. Avantree Quality Adjustable Laptop Tray, Portable Standing Desk Riser – LAPTOP, PORTABLE, TILT
If you have no need for a full size riser and only ever work on a laptop, the Avantree foldaway riser is your answer. Being the smallest also makes it the most affordable. The desk standing laptop riser can also be used in bed, on the couch or a deep bench for more working options. But, we are here to consider it as a desk riser, allow one to work in a standing position. Apart from being height adjustable, raising your laptop from 9.4-inch to 12.6-inch, the work surface can also tilt up to 30 degrees for the best viewing position. Made from lightweight aluminium, the frame is sturdy and at the same time light enough to carry around. The work surface measuring 20.5-inch x 11.8-inch is made from re-engineered work and is available in honey dew (below) or cherry. For a bigger work surface, opt for the larger 23.6-inch x 12.99-inch model.
- Dimensions: Work Surface 20.5″ (52cm) x 11.8″ (30cm) x 0.35″ (0.9cm)
- Height: Two auto-lock buttons on each side easily enable quick changes in height (adjustable from 9.4″ – 12.6″) two clamps may be used to adjust the surface angle (from 0-30°).
- Compact design, can be used in the office, living room or bedroom.
- Place it on a regular desk and convert it into a standing desk or fold it and keep it away when you do not need it.
- Work surface can be tilted, with butt on the bottom that stops laptop from slipping off.
- Light and sturdy making it portable and allowing you to work anywhere.
Another two level offering except in this, the lower deck is narrower so you may struggle with a full size keyboard and mouse side by side. This is owing to the slide mechanism allow the keyboard and mouse to be tucked under the monitor. Still, the upper desk measures 32.5-inch wide which is enough to accommodate two monitors.
- Dimensions: 32.5-inch Wide X 20.5-inch Deep. Can Fit Two (2) 24-inch Monitors. Slide out keyboard and mouse tray.
- Height: raise from 6.5-inch to 16.5-inch with 2 simple hand levers one on either side to lift up or lower down.
- Similar to FlexiSpot and Rocelco also featured here.
- Load 50lbs
6. UpTrak Metro Standing Desk Riser – TWO-LEVEL
Based on a track design, the UpTrak from Stand Steady is altogether a different design to the workstation desk risers we have seen thus far. The riser uses two bulky steel cylindrical columns to support the work surface and stowaway keyboard and mouse tray. There are pre-drilled holes on the column to let you latch the worktop to using a spring loaded latch that you release and lock with your thumbs on either side. This allows the riser to move a height of 2.25-inch to 18.25-inch. The work surface and keyboard assembly is also spring loaded to make it easy to lift and drop the height. However, the springs are exposed on either sides and run from the base to the monitor making it prone to damage. The worktop is available in cherry or black.
- The Metro comes with two-tier workspace, upper desk for screen or laptop, and lower desk for full size keyboard and mouse. The lower deck is a retractable keyboard and mouse tray.
- Dimensions: Keyboard level dimensions are 18.6 inches x 7.75 inches; Monitor level is 23.74 inches x 16 inches
- Footprint: 15.75 inches x 14.1 inches
- Height: Adjustable monitor level from 2.25-inch to 18.25-inch
- Load per level 25 lbs. Lightweight Standing Desk. A single level version is also available below.
Also: STAND STEADY UpTrak Standing Desk Riser – SINGLE LEVEL – converts any desk or table to a sit/ stand up desk. Using 4 fixed poles and a removable and adjustable fifth stand, one can raise the height of the workstation from 1.25-inch to between 11-inch and 17.25-inch. Use the thumb levers on either side to lock the worktop and further support it with a height adjustable and removable pole near the front.
Available in black or white, the two tier desktop riser from Rocelco lets you convert your desk to a standing workstation quickly. A 32-inch wide model (below) and a 37-inch wide model are available offering the options of supporting two or three average sized monitors (up to 24-inch) respectively. The retractable keyboard and mouse tray is a bonus. Instead of spring like in the UpTrak, Rocelco opt for gas hydraulic support. This lets you move from 6-inch high to 16.3-inch high above your desk easily by simply depressing the side paddles and choosing one of the 5 incremental height settings. Load capacity of the 32-inch model is 30lbs while the bigger model has a weight bearing limit of up to 50 lbs.
- 32-inch wide Dual Monitor Capable, large work surface,
- With Retractable Keyboard Tray with staggered height between keyboard and monitor.
- Height: Up to 16.3-inch from table surface with 5 incremental height positions.
- Load: up to 50lb Capacity with strong gas spring design.
8. Halter ED-258 Preassembled Height Adjustable Sit / Stand Elevating Desktop – TWO LEVEL, WIDE
Using the more common scissor frame akin to that found on ironing boards, the Halter preassembled riser is available in three different colours, cherry, black or white. It uses gas hydraulic support for a smoother lift and drop action. To change the high, you will need to squeeze the handles found on the far sides under the top deck and move it to the desired height before releasing. The frame is strong and sturdy and while the lower deck is fixed, it offers plenty of space for a full size keyboard and mouse.
- Halter is another big riser so make sure you have a table or desk big enough for it.
- Dimensions 35.6-inch wide both monitor and keyboard level. Monitor level depth up to 20.4-inch. Keyboard level depth up to 16.9-inch. – WIDE
- Height: from desk height up to 16.14-inch (410mm) with gas spring and easy access levels. Switch from sitting to standing in seconds squeezing the handles on both sides and applying up or down ward pressure to raise or lower the riser. Simpy release the levers at the desired height.
- Load: 44.1 lbs (20kg) capacity
9. FlexiSpot M2W Height Adjustable Stand up Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL, WIDE
- Standing Desk Riser with Removable Keyboard an Mouse Tray 35-inch wide platform – WIDE
- Dimensions: (Weighted Base): 31″(W) x 22.3″(D), (Flat): 5.9″(H) x 35″(W) x 31.5 “(D), (Extended): 19.7″(H) x 35″(W) x 31.5″(D)
- Height: up to 19.7″ (Footprint Surface) & 14.2 ” (Keyboard Tray) smooth and stable movement with gas spring. Use the handles to raise or lower the riser
- Surfaces: 35″(W) x 31.5″(D) (Display Surface & Keyboard Tray)
- Load: 35lbs capacity
- Available white (M2W) or black (M2B)
ALSO: FlexiSpot M2B Height Adjustable Stand up Desk Riser 35-inch wide (black) – WIDE
10. Smonet Height Adjustable Standing Desk Riser – TWO LEVEL
- Similar in design to Rocelco, DeskRiser and Lorell seen above.
- Dimensions: 32″(W) x 20.5″(D) x 16.3″(H) 32-inch Wide (Work surface – 32″ x 20.5″) enough for 2 monitors and retractable keyboard tray
- Height: up to 16.3-inch with smooth height adjustment. Free movement with strong gas spring, easily move up and down
- Load: 50lbs capacity
WARNING: Please note that the collapse and raise mechanism on the bottom of the work surface is prone to catching little fingers so be aware when operating the riser especially when there are children nearby. It is just common sense.