If you are like me, always travelling and moving in my car or you do mostly field work, being on the road most of the time and take your laptop with you, here is what you mobile workers need.
No, this is not a permanent mount that sticks up next to the center console of your car or take up a big portion of the passenger space. These are non-permanent trays and mounting kit suitable for when you pulled up safely at a safe parking bay or rest area.
We do not recommend getting a fixed mount, the type that you see in shows, inside police patrol cars, emergency rescue vehicles or roadside assistance vans. But one that you can use safely when parked and store away when you need to drive. Not distracting in any way.
Blogging Anywhere & More
I love to blog and will jump at the chance to do so when inspiration strikes. This article was actually tapped out in my car outside the school while waiting to pick up my child.
The flexibility of being able to whip out your laptop, with the comfort of a full size keyboard and big screen right where is god send. These mounts and trays makes working in the car more ergonomic and comfortable.
Here, we group the two options, trays that goes over the steering wheel and mounting kit for back passengers. These trays and mounting kit fold away for easy storage and some even fit in the back pocket of the driver or passenger seats.
No more feeling the heat of your laptop on your lap.
But wait, there is more than just blogging. The solution is perfect for field engineer, sales rep, regional managers, security officers, surveyors, news reporter, visiting nurse, travelling sales person, you name it. There is bound to be a use for one of this be it for work or leisure.
Let’s take a closer look at what is available.
Best Laptop Trays for Cars
One of the best steering wheel tray or desk with dual use. The tray is reversible so you can use it as a work top or as a food tray. How convenient is that? For days when you are out in the fields and needed to take your lunch. Once done, flip it over and you can catch up on some work. As a work tray it is deep enough for a small to medium laptop. In work mode, there is even a pen slot, handy for a stylus or pen for a spot of writing. Made from strong and durable material, the tray is tough but at the same time light weight so you can pull it out of the back seat pocket and start working in no time. If you need to know if your car seat pocket is going to be big enough, the wheel tray measures 11.22-inch deep and 16.7-inch wide. It is available in black or gray and is also carried by other sellers (Cutequeen and Lightter).
- Here is a plastic version of the above. Unlike the AutoExec, the work surface on this tray is made from durable plastic.
- There are no moving parts of removable bits. On one corner of the tray is a cup holder and the work surface is indented slightly so small items will not roll off.
- The single piece tray hooks nicely to the steering wheel and is lightweight and easy to store away when not in use either between the seats or in the back pocket.
- Dimensions and Weigth: 16 x 2 x 11 inches, 1 pound
- Available in Grey or Black
- A smaller version is also available for iPad and Laptops with reversible surfaces see below.
With a loop back design, this small tray mount is so small, it fits in the side door pocket. It is however limited to only small devices like small laptop, tablet or smartphone. The surfaces are again reversible. Use the flat worktop for writing or the grooved surface to prop your devices up. Due to the loop design and size, it may not be for everyone and someone with a full size laptop will certainly struggle to work on it.
- Here is a smaller version of the above with a loop back design and grooves to support your tablet in different positions for best working angle.
- With a reversible design, you can use the flat surface for writing or eating and the grooved surface to prop up your tablet and to stop items from rolling off.
- Made from eco-friendly HDPE, the tray is light weight and compact
- The tray is also small enough to store away in side pockets or under the seat trays
- Dimensions: 17.5cm (D) x 30cm (W)
Almost similar in size to Zone Tech’s offering, the AutoExec is made of wood and is available in different finish and colour. Show here is the powder coated finish in grey. Other colours include grey or white. You can also find natural wood finish in blond baltic birch or mahogany. The steering desk measures 15-inch wide and 8.5-inch long. Shown below is the work bench surface. The reverse side offers a single groove enough to sit your device on or stop pen from rolling off. At 8.5-inch length it can even be slotted between the seat and centre console or under the seat.
- solid work surface made from durable powder coated wood with no moving parts of detachable bits, just a simple one piece design.
- slim enough to store between the seats or in the driver or passenger seat pockets.
- great for small laptops, tablets, bluetooth keyboard or simply as a writing surface. There is even a groove to stop pens from rolling off.
- The lightweight construction makes it easy to carry in a bag or stow away when not in use.
- A bigger version, the WheelMate Extreme and WheelMate Extreme with Tablet Mount are also available, see below.
Wheelmate Extreme is a full size work bench for the car made from laminated wood. Finished in birch of mahogany, you can even buy it with tablet or smartphone grip mount and wireless keyboard. There is no gimmick here, just an honest cut out big enough to fit even the thickest steering wheel with up to 2 inches gap. There are two sizes 16-inch by 11.5-inch of the bigger 17-inch by 14-inch. Just be sure you have enough room in your car for it.
- Increase efficiency and comfortability by creating a forward working solution that is ergonomic and simple to use
- 16 in. L x 11.5 in. W x 0.5 in. H
- Includes tablet mount
- Beautiful mahogany finish for a professional look that complements your car interior
Here is another wooden entry, this time from Wheeldesk. But, instead of a semi flat surface, the Wheeldesk offers a tilted work surface. Available in various sizes, the tray looks a lot like the music stand. The slot on top of the tray goes over the top of your steering wheel. This is perfect for SUVs and PickUp as your would be seated in a more upright position. However, you may need to raise your seat in a sedan or raise your arms to reach the keyboard. The plus side is that the screen would be in a good working position and the tilted arrangement meant the laptop takes up less room. As for the tray, you get grooves on either side to stop things from rolling off and a small ledge to support the laptop, tablet or book.
- ergonomic design features more leg room as it sits on top of the steering wheel and positions directly in front of you at a natural level to avoid any strain on the neck, for hours of comfortable use and you don’t need to turn sideways in an awkward position
- Standard size: 15.25-inch x 13.75-inch
- Executive size: 18.5-inch x 14.5-inch
- Contractor size: 23.5-inch x 16.5-inch
It may be a little fiddly to get right but the foldable multi-functional portable tray can be used either over the steering or on the back seat. The tray even comes with a stow away side tray with a built-in cup holder. The main tray measures 350mm x 234mm while the side tray is 222mm x 173mm. There is an earlier model without side tray with a deeper dimension but we like this new one better. The side tray is in fact reversible so you are done with the food and drinks, switch over to a flat surface for work.
- Fitted over the head rest of the passenger or driver seats, this offers a flexible and sturdy option for rear passenger working on their laptop, tablet or simply as a drink, food and cup holder.
- Can also be used over the steering wheel for the driver with adjustable hinge for different working angles.
- There is also an integrated cup holder and mini storage to stop small things from rolling off.
- The tray and hook is ABS plastic while the hanging loop is metal.
- Great for writing, laptops, books, notepad, or even lunch.
- Available in black or white.
- Dimensions and Weight: approx 35cm (L) x 23 cm (W) and weights 611 grams. The tray is capable of a maximum load of 10kg.
We won’t recommend this as a solution for a full size laptop. The velcro laden fixes, straps and interior organiser turns this folio style case into a stand complete with a flat work surface. It is worth mentioning that this is a back seat solution only. It will need to strap onto the headrest bars and further straps to tie it down so the back stays on the back of the front seat. Should you wish to use it with a laptop, let part of the laptop nearest you rest on your lap for some added support.
- Soft version of the above, this foldable tray folds and zips up into a folio.
- made with black oxford fabric, the tray is secured using straps and strings to the driver or passenger seats and is only suitable for back seat users.
- There are outside storage pocket net and inside storage pockets to keep small items such as notebooks, stationary and paper. There is also a big elastic band to hold a can or bottled beverage.
- Dimensions: The tray is 30cm (D) x 35cm (W)